On languages in movies

Hi everybody,
Yesterday I began wathcing the mini series Chernobyl (there are only five episodes and even though it is very good it is also hard to watch and I had to take a break after two episodes). And in this series, taking place in the Soviet Union, now north Ukraine, there are actors speaking English. Which they did not do in real life. And is this a problem?

I don't think so. Yes some of the authenticity might be lost, but this way it will reach a bigger audience and create a bigger understanding of what happened. Some movies and series tell important tales that should be reached by a bigger audience. I don't mind watching movies and series where I don't understand the language and need subtitles, that would exclude a lot of anime for me, but I would be lying if I said it wasn't easier to watch something where I understand the language. The series is already so heavy that it would probably be too much for me if they spoke a language I didn't understand. 

And I'm not talking whitewashing here, just language. People in Ukraine and Russia tend to be rather white. Also, that is another discussion.

There have been discussions on earlier movies, specially those on WW2 taking place in germany where the germans speak english. Often with an accent to let us know that they are actually german. I've read and heard comments that it is not realistic and it doesn't feel authentic. There is a point to it, in Germany they speak german. But would we really like to watch the movies if the actors spoke the original language? 

If the creators of the movie always kept to the original language that would constrict which actors they could use. Big time. I have heard actors saying lines in Swedish in movies and series and I rarely understand what they say, they butcher the language. I mean, I appreciate the sentiment and I always go "yeay, Sweden!" sort of, but watching a whole movie where they spoke like that just because it had to be the right language, not enjoyable. 

So if the movie/series is well made, then I don't mind the language. Americans and Brits are going to make movies where they speak Englich because that is the language they use in that country just as in Sweden they speak Swedish in movies and in Spain they speak Spanish and so on. Do you agree on this?

Hope you´re having a great day an until next time, bye!

// Anna

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg